A BRAVE Course
A BRAVE Course teaches our students how to address the challenges they face growing up in our society. We ensure that our students are well-educated about violence, sexuality, relationships, substance abuse, addiction, dysfunctional to criminal behavior and communicable diseases. A BRAVE Course helps our students to live safe, healthy, economically productive lives.
A BRAVE COURSE encompasses violence prevention; healthy mind and body education; communications skills and peer resistance techniques; and understanding the media and how to use it, and economic skills. We teach a multi-faceted course including written and multi-media materials. This comprehensive approach for at-risk youth ensures that they have the tools to live safe, healthy, economically independent lives.
Our 2-hour, 4-hour and one-day workshops, or weekly courses on Safety, Health, understanding the media and how to use it, and economic skills cover:
- Safety awareness, danger assessment, verbal assertiveness and physical self-defense
- Developing healthy esteem and interpersonal skills necessary for healthy relationships
- Mental and physical healthy lifestyle skills
- Examining the impact of the media on their lives
- Examining the impact education has on employment and/or entrepreneurial opportunities
- Basic financial training from budgeting and saving, to managing a checkbook, to preparing their taxes
- The personal and economic responsibilities of starting a family
- Preparation for retirement
BRAVE People also offers:
- Counseling for our students who have been involved in street life, crime, gangs and violence
- A resource library of books, films and other reference and training materials
- Summer camps for at-risk youth